5 Mistakes Homeowners Make With their Roof
We are all for saving money and being a handy homeowner. But when it comes to your roof – you know, the thing that protects you from the elements and is the most important structural component of your entire home – leave it to the professionals. No YouTube tutorial or channeling your inner “Tim the Toolman Taylor” from the oldie but goodie Home Improvement show will adequately prepare you to repair your roof safely and efficiently.
Review this list of common mistakes homeowners make when it comes to their roof to ensure your roof is in good hands.
- DIY Gone Wrong – As mentioned above, don’t let your love of all things Do-It-Yourself convince you that you can repair or replace your roof properly. Avoid potential injury by leaving it to the professionals. Residential roofing contractors will use the most-trusted products and follow the latest roofing regulations. Save money in the long haul by hiring experienced roofers to get the job done right the first time.
- Handyman Failure – Hopefully you’ve come to grips with not grabbing a ladder, hammer and some nails and going onto your roof to make repairs yourself. However, that does not mean to hire your local handyman down the street to repair or replace your roof. More than likely, your handyman is not properly insured to complete such work. That could leave you in a bind and financially responsible for any damage made to your property or injury to the worker.
- Subpar Contractors – Finding a trustworthy roofing contractor to perform roof repairs or replacements is a big task, so you’ll want to do your homework. Instead of blindly calling the first few results that pop up when searching “best residential roofing contractors near me” on Google, learn how to use online reviews to secure a reputable roofing company to do the job right the first time.
- Improper Care & Maintenance – While it’s best to leave roof repairs and replacements to the professionals, it is a good idea to perform basic DIY roof inspections from time to time. By checking the condition of your shingles, flashing and gutters (especially after strong wind or a big storm), and calling on professionals as needed, you could be extending the life of your roof. Read all about the importance of clearing tree limbs, moss, leaves and checking for moisture in your attic here. Avoid pressure washing your roof, as it can damage the shingles and lead to leaks.
- Procrastination – It’s important to do a quick peek in your attic at the first sign of dripping water or discolored water marks on your ceiling. If your roof is leaking, it’s time to act quickly to prevent warped wood, mold growth, discolored walls and worst-case scenario, a roof collapse. While some house maintenance items can be pushed back and fall into the “I’ll deal with it later” column, your roof should take top-priority.
The Best of the Best
At Best Contracting, we are known for our quality workmanship and strong work ethic. As one of the region’s largest residential roofing companies, we are dedicated to treating your home (and property – we even have a “New Roof, No Mess” process we pride ourselves on) like it’s our own. Don’t take our word for it – read countless reviews from our satisfied and happy homeowners who are loving their new roofs, gutters and siding work done by Best Contracting. You can easily request a free quote and be on your way to getting the roof repairs you need done by experienced professionals.
We invite you to contact us at (717) 283-4524 for all of your roofing needs. Don’t forget to schedule a roof inspection for this fall to keep your roof and home in tip-top shape. We look forward to hearing from you soon!